Barcelona forward Lionel Messi said that he is happy with the performance of his team after their victory against Juventus.
Indeed Barcelona managed to beat Juventus 3-0 to avenge for their quarter-final defeat last season in the same competition.
Lionel Messi was phenomenal during the whole match and scored two goals to help his team beat an Italian side with a stubborn defence. The other goal was scored by Rakitic in an exciting match at the Nou Camp.
It was also the first appearance of former Borussia Dortmund winger OusmaneDembele for Barcelona in the Champions League.
His performance in the match was average, and there was even a feeling of frustration in the crowd as some of his dribblings were ineffective. However, this is perfectly understandable given the fact that he just joined the club and the Barcelona coach has stated that he will be given time in order to adapt. Continue reading Lionel Messi proud of results
There are reports that Argentine football star Lionel Messi would have moved to the Etihad to reunite with Pep Guardiola following his sentencing to 21 months for tax fraud.
A new documentary shows claims the player reached out to Guardiola last term after feeling “trapped” at the Nou Camp.
Guardiola met the superstar in Spain about the move even though it never happened eventually. The documentary hinted that Messi’s father and his agent spoke with a City director over the purported move. All these were reported to have happened around early to mid-July 2016.
Messi was about to buckle under stress at the Catalan side so he met with the 46-year old. Messi’s father also reached out to the club president Josep Maria Bartomeu but he was told that Barcelona would not allow the player leave. Agreements were made and Messi signed a new deal to remain with the club – one that would take his career to a very advanced stage. Continue reading MESSI COULD HAVE MOVED TO MAN CITY
Five-time Ballon d’Or winner Lionel Messi has added another feather to his cap after claiming his fourth Pichichi trophy of his career.
The Argentina international toppedthe La Liga’s goal scoring charts this term, scoring 37 goals to lead the pack.
He finished as the highest goal scorer in the La Liga to depose his teammate Luis Suarez from the throne. Suarez broke the Messi-Ronaldo duopoly last year when he won the award. He finishes in second place this term with 29 goals. The third attacking member of the MSN Neymar placed tenth on the scorers’ log. Continue reading MESSI CLAIMS 2017 PICHICHI TROPHY
The Argentine national football side has consistently been able to qualify for the FIFA World Cup since the 1978 edition and have made impressive performances in almost every single year when the competition was held as they have either reached the quarter-finals or been the runner-up in many of the World Cups.
Argentina are currently at risk of losing this string of consecutive qualifications as they are positioned at the 5th
spot of the CONMEBOL group stages for the upcoming 2018 FIFA World Cup.
The latest 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification match of Argentina saw them losing 0-2 against Bolivia and taking into consideration the fact that there are only 4 more qualification matches left as well as the recent suspension of Lionel Messi, Argentina might not be able to qualify for the worldwide football competition if they continue to drop points.
On March 23 of 2017, Argentina faced off with Chile and came out on top with a 1-0 triumph but it came at a hefty price as Lionel Messi received a 4 match suspension after being accused of insulting the assistant referee of that game. Continue reading Messi’s suspension arrives at a crucial time for Argentina
Barcelona lead striker Luis Suarez has asked that the club offer superstar Lionel Messi a new deal, hitting back at comments that the CEO Oscar Grau made recently which has led to lots of serious speculations that the Argentine forward might consider a move away from the Nou Camp.
Grau asked that the club applied “common sense” when negotiating an agreement with Messi, hinting that the club not overspend. The executive officer also said he has asked that defender Gerard Pique stop complaining about referees, hinting that the turmoil at the Catalan side might be far reaching particularly with Barca not being in excellent form of late.
“With Messi what you have to do is give him a new contract, not have common sense,” Suarez said aver the victory over Athletic Bilbao. Spanish source Diario Sport reports that the CEO’s comments have angered the players who are even under a lot of pressure. The reports claimed the comments have expanded the rift between the dressing and board rooms. Continue reading LUIS SUAREZ ASKS BARCA TO GIVE MESSI A NEW DEAL
Bayern Munich coach Carlo Ancelotti believes that Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo will continue to dominate world football in the next couple of years and that it will not be easy for any other players to win the Ballon d’Or.
He said that Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo is far above all the others and that younger players such as Gareth Bale, Neymar and Pogba will have to wait for the pairs to retire before having a chance to win the trophy.
Carlo Ancelotti believes that the only way for another player to win the trophy at the moment is for their team to win the Champions League but it will be difficult to beat Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for the Ballon d’Or.
Ancelotti believes that the rivalry between Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo is a motivation for both players and that both of them want to become the best. This ensures that the both players remain at the top of their game and does not provide any opening for another player.
He believes that Ronaldo and Lionel Messi still have a few years at the top level and that it will be hard to dislodge them from where they are.
The Barcelona forward has congratulated Cristiano Ronaldo for winning the Ballon d’Or and said that Portuguese manager deserves to win the award. Lionel Messi said that he wants to focus on his own game and make sure that he helps his team win the trophy. Although he has not said anything, it is clear that he wants to win the trophy next year and that he will do anything to can in order to beat Ronaldo this time.
However, it could be difficult this time as Barcelona is currently trailing Real Madrid in La Liga and they will have some catching up to do.
Five-time World Player of the Year Award winner, Lionel Messi is set to avoid any punishment from the European governing body, UEFA, despite being involved in two separate bust-ups during the clash with Manchester City this week.
At Tuesday’s Champions League game at the Etihad, Barcelona were served a sweet revenge by Manchester City, having suffered defeat from the Catalan giants a fortnight ago. Barca players were fuming and City players and lower management staff provoked their guests into a bust-up.
UEFA has confirmed that since the incident were not put in the referee or match delegate report, there would be no repercussions. During the 15 minutes recess, Messi confronted the referee, Viktor Kassai in the tunnel. He was involved in the bust-up after the game, and his compatriot Sergio Aguero had to calm him down.
“Nothing was mentioned in the official reports. Therefore no disciplinary action has been taken,” UEFA said.
Many remain surprised at Messi’s reactions after the game, particularly as Barcelona were sill topping the group despite the loss. Aguero explained that the player was just not happy with the loss. Continue reading MESSI TO ESCAPE PUNISHMENT DESPITE BUST-UPS
After a mediocre start to 2016, Lionel Messi seems to be finding form at just the right time in the season for Barcelona.
The forward is widely seen as the best player in the world, but there were concerns about the dip in form that he experienced for much of last campaign. After having been a regular contender for the top goalscorer awards, Messi finished second even in the Barcelona squad and was close to being overtaken by Neymar. The superstar, though, has put an end to potential talk of a decline after managing to score yet another hat-trick in the Champions League.
The latest hat-trick came against Celtic, who were the visitors to the Camp Nou. The Scottish club had a new manager at the helm and Brendan Rodgers was adamant that they were not in the Champions League just to make up numbers. However, Barcelona dismissed them with a lot of ease in the opening group game of the season. Messi has now become the first player in the Champions League history to score six hat-tricks. This hat-trick is also his 40th for club and country. Those three goals also meant that Celtic suffered their worst defeat in this competition. Following the game, Enrique claimed that Messi was the undisputed number one in the world.
Continue reading Lionel Messi Undisputed Number One in the World, says Enrique
New Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza has stated that he will try to convince Lionel Messi to come back on his decision to stop playing for the international team.
He said that Argentina still needs Lionel Messi and that it will be a great loss for the national team if Messi retires from international football.
Edgardo Bauza who has just replaced Martino at the head of the Argentina team said that he wants to have a conversation with Lionel Messi. He wants to see whether the player is still available for selection and whether he can count on him for the upcoming matches.
Argentina will be facing Uruguay and Venezuela in their next games that will count for the World Cup qualifiers. Argentina are currently third in the qualifying table and will want to get maximum points from these forthcoming matches. Edgardo Bauza will want to have his best players for this game as they do not have a lot of room for mistakes.
He said that as a former player he has also been through the disappointment of losing a final and wanting to quit everything. He believes that this decision can be reversed, but it will be up to Lionel Messi to decide. This is why he wants to have a chat with the player first to see what he thinks of the new project for the national team. Continue reading Argentina coach to convince Messi
Barcelona’s Lionel Messi is set to avoid prison despite the almost two years jail term he received for tax fraud in Spain.
Many feared that the very talented player and five-time World Footballer of the Year Award winner might take a break from the special game but this wouldn’t be happening as he would only be on probation throughout the time of the sentences.
The player and his father were standing trial for tax fraud committed between 2007 and 2009. The Court ruled that the player should serve a sentence of seven months for each year. However, as this was the first time he was standing before the Court and the sentence was less than two years, the player wouldn’t take a break from football.
The 29-year old superstar wasn’t happy with the sentencing and his lawyers say they would appeal the verdict and are pretty sure that the sentencing would be different. Messi’s father received the same sentencing.
Aside the jail term, both parties would pay a fine to the authorities. Messi is ordered to pay $2.3 million but his father would pay $1.7 million. Since his father doesn’t have a criminal record, he wouldn’t serve the time in prison as well. The club issued a statement on their website immediately the court issued its verdict. The statement reads that the club is giving its support to the player and his father as they defend their interests. Continue reading MESSI WILL AVOID PRISON DESPITE 21 MONTHS JAIL TERM